Janesville Mobilizing 4 Change is committed to improving the environment our youth live in.
LGBTQ+ Youth are more at risk for substance use and mental health issues.┬á JM4C works with GSA students, schools, and community organizations to raise awareness and promote welcoming services.
Healthy and safe youth activities
GSA students from middle and high schools in Janesville get together for fun and discussion every other month in a safe welcoming environment.┬á Contact your schoolsΓÇÖ GSA group for more information.
JM4C has worked with GSA groups to:
- Provide LGBTQ+ books for the school library
- Sponsor GSA students and advisors to attend conferences
- Sponsored training for school staff
- Sponsor a Break the Silence event
- Host community presentations at the Hedberg Library
- Host a family friendly PRIDE day (coming in June 2018!)
You can support LGBTQ+ Youth by:
- Getting involved! Attend an event, volunteer to help.
- Recruit Youth Allies! Allies can be members of GSAs too!
Sometimes LGBTQ+ youth feel alone, especially if they donΓÇÖt have support from family or peers. There are people who want to help! Below are a list of resources to help you.
Please note that Talk lines typically have limited hours.┬á Hotlines are crisis lines and are typically available 24/7
- GLBT National Help Center: This website has a number of helplines and online talk groups. The Youth talk line is 800-246-PRIDE.
- GSAFE: GSAFE offers youth summits and leadership conference to provide opportunities to develop advocacy skills. They offer training to school staff and have a curriculum that GSA advisors can use for their GSA groups. The GSAFE website offers resources on training, leadership, advocacy, social justice, LGBTQ rights. (608) 611-4141
- The Trevor Project: The Trevor Project provides help to LGBTQ+ youth who are contemplating suicide. There are people who want to help and The Trevor Project provides a number of ways to talk to someone. There may be a wait time to the chat or text messaging. If you need to talk to someone sooner, please use the Trevor Lifeline.
- Trevor Lifeline: 866-488-7386. Available 24/7.
- Trevor Chat: An online instant messaging service available 7 days a week between 2-9PM CST.
- TrevorText: Text ΓÇ£TrevorΓÇ¥ to 1-202-304-1200. This service is available Monday-Friday between 2-9PM CST.
- Room To Be Safe: Room to Be Safe is a Wisconsin initiative to help LGBTQ+ survivors of violence connect with services, provide advocacy, and help create safety plans.
- The Wisconsin Transgender Health Coalition: This group works to promote safe and equitable access to health and health care. Email┬áwitranshealth@gmail.com